Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

Harry Chapin - Cats in the Cradle Nonofficial Music Video




PLEASE READ BELOW...

Below I have posted some things about the video (picture slideshow rather), since some people think I took the song too literally. But before you comment anything, read some of the "clues" below.

What I was trying to do was combine what Harry was directly saying with my own understanding of the song.

Clue 1: In most of the video, the pictures are shown zooming in...and then out...and then in again, etc. This was to show a metaphoric cradle rocking; the father thinking he is doing the right thing.

Clue 2: Many people have a problem with the video really showing a cat. However, it isn't all that literal:

The first time Harry says "...and the cats in the cradle...", it shows a cat in a cradle...but each time the line is said, the cat will change. This is to show how time is passing by and how things change. Then it shows a sliver spoon ("...and the silver spoon..."). But when this is repeated, the spoon will have a fork next to it, and then a knife. This is to show age and maturity in the boy. The very last spoon in the video is meant to look old...to show again the time that has passed by.

"...little boy blue..." With that line, it starts with a blue man, then to a blue room, then to a blue car, and then to a blue house...this is to show, again, age and ,maturity.

"...and the man on the moon...", with this line it starts with a toy man sitting on the moon, to a real photo of the moon, to a man landing on the moon, and then to what the future of the moon might look like. No it's not about the moon, it was trying to explain how the boy is, again, getting older, and learning more and more as he gets older.

"...when you coming home, son, I don't know when, but we'll have a good time then..." This also changes...from the shots of a park, to a shot of a baseball game (which ties into the song since the father bought the kid a baseball), and then to the city. This was to show the boy's interest and how he (again) gets older. The last time it is said, however, it shows the house with a slow zoom on it...and then it fades to a gate with a lock on it. The old locked gate is like time...you can't go backwards.

Clue 3: If you all noticed, the video often showed a clock, but this was by no means random...the first clock showed "10 O'clock" before it says "...my son turned ten just the other day..." this again was not only meant to match the words directly, but to show that time begins to fly by. The next clock shows that the boy is in his 20's since Harry says "...well he came from college just the other day..." and the next clock after that does not only match the words, but the numbers are also scattered showing it is too late for the father to make up.

Clue 4: At the start of this video, as well as at the end, it is clears that it starts out in space and zooms in on Earth. (Zooming out at the end). This was to show how small we are...but how meaningful something so small could be.

Clue 5: If you noticed, the pictures to beat ratio at the VERY end is slightly off...it is as if the pictures is ahead of the song. This is to show time catching up to present day.

Clue 6: When Harry says things like "Sliver spoon" and "Little boy blue and the man on the moon"...those are nursery rhymes. The video does give hints that follow them, but they aren't very clear.

There are some other things, but I think I got everything important.

For those of you who are ready to say this song doesn't need a description, you are right...it is a GREAT classic. However, as I said before, this is a description of the video to show what I put into it because I am tired of people saying I didn't put much thought into it.

Oh, and if you are reading this right now, PLEASE leave a comment telling me what you think of what I did. Thank you.

Last thing: At the time this video was made, I only had Windows Movies Maker. I also didn't have any money at all, so all I did was search the web for pictures, and made this. It was made in one day of non-stop work. Throw in a slow computer, and you will understand. It didn't come out perfect, and I REALLY wanted to do a live-action, trust me, but not everyone is rich, and I was 14 when I made this. It is far from perfect, and I really wish it was better, but this is it...if it isn't good enough for you, MAKE YOUR OWN.

UPDATE - 9-24-09

100,000 VIDEO VIEWS! Thank you so much everyone! :)

UPDATE: 1-26-11
Just a quick little fact: I think it's safe to say this is the most popular fan-made music video for Cats in the Cradle on youtube...maybe the web, and I wish to thank everyone who made that possible!^^

No comments:

Post a Comment