Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

Tommy Makem - Four Green Fields




This is the first from Tommy and in my opinion, the best version . Recorded in 1968, this was at the tail end of Tommy Makem's days with The Clancy Brothers before he went off to pursue a solo career in 1969. Forgive me for the poor quality. This was taken from an old LP, for this version does not come up on CD very often. It is available on CD on the Clancy Brothers "Luck of The Irish" compilation, but for some reason I didn't like the way it sounded remastered and all. The LP does it more justice. Most people prefer the later versions that Tommy did of this song. I still prefer this version and the version he recorded two years later in 1970 on the album "The Bard of Armagh." This 1968 recording is how I first heard this song. I was a young child and was listening to it in the back seat of my Dad's car from a mix tape he made of his favorite Irish songs. I have fond memories of this and so it's probably it's my favorite version. "Four Green Fields" is also in my top three of favorite songs of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment